Sunday, April 10, 2011

Surprise! Benham is here!

So, I head to my regularly scheduled 37 week OB appointment on Thursday to find out that I'm 2 cm dilated and my cervix is very thin...they didn't think he would stay put until Tuesday to try the version. So, I rush home and throw a couple things in an overnight bag just in case things didn't go well with the procedure, head to my already scheduled pre-baby hair appointment and then head straight to the hospital for the version. They put me on the monitor while they start my IV and get things ready and the nurse looks at me and says "do you feel that?"...huh, feel what? I was having regular contractions 2-3 minutes apart! What!? I felt tightening but I've felt that for most of this pregnancy. 30 minutes later the cramping started and it was obvious...I was in labor! They tried the version (which didn't hurt at all) but he wouldn't budge. I was now 4 cm dilated and not allowed to leave...he was on his way.Of course my doctor was out of town but my next favorite doctor was on call...she actually delivered Maryn as well, my doctor always seems to miss all the action. So, via c-section at 37 weeks and just shy of 3 days, a baby was born!

Benham Austin Cummings
April 7, 2011
11:26 pm
7 lb. 8 oz.
(can you imagine how big he'd be if he made it to his due date!)
21 in.

My babies like to come just a couple weeks early...to get on their mommas good side. Besides not having my hospital bags packed or the house cleaned or my 'to do' list crossed off or a pedicure done, I really wasn't ready to not be pregnant. I feel like my pregnancy was robbed from me...which only means I need to do it again some day:) We were going to be busy this weekend...cleaning windows, putting away Maryn's outgrown clothes that are piled up in a corner of my bedroom, dusting off the infant car seat, swing and bouncy seat and putting the finishing touches in the nursery. Someone, on the other hand, had quite larger plans of his own.

I get ants in my pants and always leave the hospital asap. 24 hrs after Maryn's birth and 42 hrs after Benham's.
Eat, sleep, poop, sleep, sleep, sleep...that's what we've been up to.
Graciously blessed with another healthy child to love.

6 comments:

The Grammarian said...

Oh WOW, Rebecca. I cannot believe it. You cooked a good turkey, honey. I'm glad you are at home and into the routine and getting to know your little one. I'm sorry that you got sliced open but I know you'll make a brilliant recovery. Been there twice now and am amazed at the body's power to heal. Blessings and kisses upon your little one. I know Maryn is already a superstar big sister.

The Grammarian said...

P.S. He is gorgeous! Beautiful downy looking skin!!!

The Ziejewski Family said...

Congratulations!!! He is adorable, those cheeks will need lots of kissing!

TJ and Katie said...

SO HAPPY FOR ALL OF YOU!!! WHAT A WONDERFUL SURPRISE!!! Who needs a pedicure when you have a handsome little guy to look at?

Erin said...

Ooh I can't wait to hug him! It's so interesting that you were having contractions you couldn't feel at the beginning - I was the same way when I got to the hospital! Must be something with those big, breech babies :) Enjoy those wonderful first few days!

Caroline said...

congratulations, he is perfect!!