Friday, June 3, 2011

Benham is 8 weeks old!

I'm just going to pat myself on the back and says congrats to me for successfully getting my offspring to take their afternoon naps at the same time...freeing up valuable time to blog...I mean clean the house. Sir Benham is 8 weeks old, a couple days shy of turning 2 MONTHS OLD! Holy Crikeys! I ventured into work yesterday to fill in my schedule and had mixed emotions. I really do love what I do. Not many people at their place of work can nonchalantly say, while huddled around the water cooler, "dude, I just saved someones life 5 minutes ago". It's a pretty cool gig. I just don't look forward to the nitty gritty stuff that can get pretty irritating...just like every other job out there. It doesn't matter what you do for a living, who you work with or for, a job is a job. Period. My life is full of purpose right now, lots of purpose, but there IS something to be said about purposely contributing my knowledge and skills to make a difference in someone else's life, besides my children's. Every minute of my every day is given to my children. Everything I do or plan to do first has to be cleared with their schedules. Who eats when, who eats what, who sleeps when, who sleeps what? They currently rule the roost. My friend Meghan who has a 22 month old and 2.5 month old twins said it perfectly to me the other day..."when I had one child, she adjusted her life to fit into mine, now that I have more than one, I have to adjust my life to fit into theirs". And this my friends is truth. So, what I'm trying to say is that I'm looking forward to my 12 hour shifts at work because for the majority of those 12 hours, I'll be thinking of something other than my day to day...and if I have to go to the bathroom...I can go without someone crying or calling my name...and if I want to sit down and eat a cookie...I can eat a cookie without someone else eating half of it...and if I just want to sit in silence...I can sit in silence...and at the end of those 12 hours...I'll drive 10 miles per hour faster than the speed limit to get home to my little chickens who rule the roost!

"Are we done here?"
Oh my sweet Jesus I love when he smiles!
And when he pops his collar like this...heart breaker!
We got wonderful news yesterday...his hips are completely normal! Because he was frank breech he had to have an ultrasound of his hips done between 6-8 weeks to see if he had any slight dislocation which would require a fancy leg brace. Not only are his hips normal but he abnormally loves to put weight on them. He absolutely loves to stand and I totally realize this is just not normal to see a 7 week old baby standing on a sofa. He's like that creepy dancing baby from Ally McBeal.
I'm already sort of sad that one day some pretty little girl is going to sweep him off his feet and I'll no longer be his number one lady.
Just remember...you have to share the holidays!
Benham Austin...I love you to the moon and back!

1 comment:

TJ and Katie said...

so sweet Rebecca. Like the post. Going back to work was the hardest thing in the world for me at the time. I even struggle with it now and Nora is 2. But, your post is very true.