Monday, June 13, 2011

Benham is 9 weeks old!

It's the circle of life, one little man is beginning his journey while another is approaching his finish line. He's lived a long (87.5 years!) brave and honorable life, but unfortunately we are saying our goodbyes to my Poppop. I packed up the kids last minute and flew to New York to see my grandfather last week. He is still holding strong but I think we are counting days. My heart is aching. I feel sadness for my grandma and the tears of my dad fall hard. I haven't lost a grandparent since I was 9 years old. When I held my Poppop's hand last week, I knew that it would be the last time. I leaned over to kiss his forehead and out of an almost comatose sleep, he lifted his head for a kiss on the lips! He hadn't moved an inch the entire time I was sitting next to his hospital bed but mustered up the energy for a REAL goodbye. No doubt that Carl Joseph Loeper will be sitting with the Lord, my prayers right now are for his comfort and peace.
This 9 week old brought some much needed joy to an otherwise sad time.

"Move over sissy!"
"Alright fine, only because you can read..or think you can read"
This is how I managed to pack our suitcase last minute

Ben's first plane ride
Meeting Great Aunt Carolyn
Me and my grandma...she looks good for 88 years!
Mimi and one of her namesakes...Great Grandma Marian Loeper
See that tiny green M&M in her mouth? Grandma Loeper was sneaking them to her by the handfuls! She always lets me know that her *name* is on the M&M. It doesn't matter how many times I tell her that it's her initial, she thinks each one was made with her name. Maryn gets one for pee pee in the potty and two for poo poo. A couple weeks ago Grandma asked Maryn while they were skyping how many M&M's she got for pee pee, she turned to make sure I wasn't looking and told her FIVE!!! The little rat tried to pulled a quick one over on her!

Five out of the seven great grandchildren...plus one more on the way!!
They'd be a cute little couple...if they weren't second cousins

Nanny has the touch



Tummy Time!
I think Benham successfully provided distraction
Four generations...me included
We were able to visit with Grandma and Poppop Cummings since they only live 45 minutes from my grandparents
Grandma got Maryn some new toys that were a huge hit! Benham's fuzz needed a blow out.
He rolled with it
The final 'do'

Skyping with daddy...he missed us so much, we came home to a dozen roses:)

Checking out Grandma's box of tricks
And coordinating outfits with Poppop
We can't wait for them to move to Charleston permanently!

Feeding the birds
When I look at this sweet picture, it reminds me of the memories I share with my Poppop...sitting on his lap and listening to stories about his family carpentry business or being a marine stationed in the South Pacific during WWII. I used to love helping my grandma turn the pockets of his work shirts inside out to dump all the sawdust out. He'd always have a Werther's Original in his pocket for me. I'm going to miss him.

1 comment:

Jaclyn Slattery said...

Thinking of you guys. Love you!