Thursday, June 16, 2011

Poppop is at peace and Benham is 10 weeks old

"Momma always said dyin' was a part of life. I sure wish it wasn't." Forrest Gump
Today my Poppop has found peace. His earthly life ended this morning and he's singing with the angels in heaven. My grandfather was Christ loving and was devoted to his church. I remember watching him usher at mass and he'd always wink at me. He emphasized to his children the importance of having faith. That commitment was passed on to us. Growing up, we went to church every Sunday...even when we were on vacation! He was a meat and potatoes man and worked like a horse to provide for his family. He had the BIGGEST hands of any man I've ever known. Last week I sat at his bedside and held those mighty hands. I envisioned all of the furniture those hands built and the war he fought. He was strong. Just this afternoon, my brother Phil told me of one of his memories of Poppop. He was about 15 years old and was playing catch with Pop..he said he'll never forget how bad it hurt his hands after he caught those balls...Pop threw a mad ball. He served this country with pride and bravery and I'm so honored to call him my grandfather.
Sir Benham Austin is showing his respect for Great Grandpa Carl Loeper...sporting some Red White and Blue in a tribute to a great marine!
Every week of this child's life has such importance to me but the time has come to convert our measurements into months. Trust me, I would love to take his picture in the *big white chair* 52 times this year but we've got other important things to do. We've got to break out the Bumbo seat, stretch our legs in preparation for the Jumperoo, make and freeze homemade baby food, and survive two nights a week while mama's at work.
62 years of marriage...hard to come by these days. How fortunate I am to have role models to base my marriage upon. The epitome of true love. I just loved the little twinkle in his eye.
July 2010...just a week before Benham was conceived...Pop must have been our good luck charm:)
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted (Matthew 5:5)
We'll be gathering as a family in the coming days and I anticipate that our new sweet baby Benham will provide some of that much needed comfort. An opportunity to see distant relatives and to celebrate the long and prosperous life of our grandfather, great grandfather, father, husband, brother (he had 8 brothers and sisters!), cousin, uncle, friend, neighbor and fellow marine.
Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord; and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen.
Night night Poppop, you ARE a very loved man. Kisses xoxo

2 comments:

The Grammarian said...

So sorry for your loss, Rebecca. What a wonderful tribute, though. I am also a fan of squeezing on my children at funerals. I think they've been to several (each). Benham is such a sweet dumpling and I can't get enough of M. in her bathing suit. Too bad she can't hang at Bay Pool like her mama, me and Erin McC back in the day :)

Miss. Mac said...

way to make me cry in the office reading this.

you and the family are in my thoughts and prayers. xo