Thursday, May 13, 2010

Love of a stranger

This blog started as a means of therapy for me during a difficult time. I remember vividly when the doctor was confirming my sweet boys diagnosis of lymphoma...I heard her but I secretly believed that Bayley would beat it. If any dog could beat it, he could, and he would! I couldn't drive home from the vets office, I was numb. These things didn't happen to me. He was only 5 years old and he was my 'wing man', my selfless companion, my best friend and he was suppose to live another 10 years. 10 years! When you think about how long 10 years really is, you realize how cheated I felt. This blog was meant to help mend my heart and somehow through the pages of my words and the pictures of my boy, a couple hearts were touched. Perfect strangers started following Bayley's story...they fell in love with him. People I had never met, people from all corners of the country, people of all ages. They fell in love with his spirit without ever meeting him. That's something pretty special. He was pretty special. Bayley's spirit lives on. After he passed away, several of my friends made donations in his name to a couple different canine cancer research organizations...I'm telling you, he touched some hearts. Just last month, 7 days after Bayley's birthday, I got an email from one of those perfect strangers. Jamie wrote me the sweetest email about a golden retriever named Ricochet who actually surfs to raise money and awareness for human and animal causes. She saw the video on youtube, check it out...this dog rocks! Not only did she donate money to Ricochet's Canine Cancer Initiative through the Morris Animal Foundation, but she donated in Bayley's name. She submitted his picture and a quote from our blog so that his big black nose and his big brown eyes would never be forgotten. Let us hope that her donation will bring us one step closer to finding a cure. Thank you Jamie....for loving our Bayley and for loving the millions of dogs who have yet been diagnosed. As he has touched your heart, you have touched ours.
Thank you!
Check out our boy Bay! and make a donation to Surf Dog Ricochet
(he's the second to last good lookin' kid)

3 comments:

Jamie said...

You are more than welcome!!! :)

scummings said...

I am sitting here in NJ with tears running down my face- I, too, loved him so!

TJ and Katie said...

That is so kind. The internet has made so many more things possible.

By the way, love the new big picture on your page.