Thursday, February 21, 2008

A little stomach 'bug'....quite literally

Bayley after he realized he wasn't getting chemo today:)
Plethora of medications

So, we went to the vet for round five of chemotherapy today but Bayley has had severe diarrhea since Sunday..I know, I'm sorry. He's been taking Immodium and an antibiotic to stop the diarrhea but to no avail it continues. The docs took a stool sample and we found out that it wasn't the chemo making him sick......he has hook worms and coccidia!!!! EEWWWW....I'm totally grossed out, especially since humans can get hook worms from dogs. But, there is always a positive....if I got hookworms, it would be a guarantee 5 lb weight loss program. ha ha! The reason he has these 'bugs' is because he has a weakened immune system from the chemo, a normal thing but of course my dog chooses to be 'high maintenance' as usual. The plethora of medications continues to mount on my kitchen counter, as does the monetary value of all of these medications and visits. But, like every good pet owner states "he's totally worth every penny". Needless to say, we left the vet with three additional medications and NO chemo this week. We're given the kid a break.







4 comments:

Aaron, Sarah, and Emily Walter said...

Great job with the blog Rebecca!! Keep it up!! I hope that the stomach 'bug' stays away from you two-although I too agree with the benefits for it :) Hope Bayley enjoyed skipping out on chemo this week!

Created Amiably said...

Hi Rebecca! I saw your blog on Sarah's blog and thought we would say hi! Bayley is beautiful! Our thoughts are with you guys!! love Ami
p.s. how is grad school??

Grandma and Pop pop said...

Hi Bayley,
Hope your feeling better today. By now, we're sure, you've been told we will be coming to Charleston to visit with you and also bringing our new boat to take all of us on the "maiden voyage"
We hope your "loose bowels" are under control by then. ha ha! We had champaign in mind for the christining.
Find your sea legs!
See you soon
Grandma and Pop pop Loeper

Stephanie and Eric Horecky said...

I didn't know you had a blog! I love it, but I am very sad for Bayley. Hope he is feeling better.